TECNALIA Research & Innovation along with international partnerships has developed the NBS methodology thanks to the call of the KLIMATEK program: R + D projects, Innovation and demonstration on adaptation to climate change 2016, promoted by the Basque Government. In order to provide the project with a practical and demonstrative nature, the NBS methodology has been developed by applying it to the municipality of Donostia/San Sebastián. The results of the NBS mapping of this city will serve as the basis for the preparation of its Adaptation to Climate Change Plan.
The main beneficiaries are:
- City councils and all the organizations that depend on them, which, in the performance of their functions, can promote and implement the mechanisms that favor a “green” presence in the municipality and an urban design that is more inclusive with nature.
- Private initiatives, in the case of projects in which the promoter is not the public administration, that seek to include some type of natural solution in their actions as a measure of adaptation.
- The public in general; any citizen who wishes to undertake a specific intervention in their property, so as to gain a broad and integrating vision of the benefits that this small intervention may have in the area in which it is located and in the municipality as a whole.
The Donostia - San Sebastian pilot project has been accompanied by a participatory process with the aim of contributing to the citizens’ knowledge and awareness of the problem of climate change and, at the same time, leveraging their own knowledge of the city by making them participants in the identification of spaces or elements that can host nature-based solutions based.
- Sharing the initiative with the Urban Planning, Projects and Public Works, Maintenance and Services and Environment-Biodiversity departments.
- Participatory session in UPV’s University Campus of the UPV.
- Sharing the initiative with the private sector: meet with the M-etxea architects group.
- Workout with social agents: Plus +55 Association.
- Presentation of the project in the local Local Agenda 21, in order to include the concept of Natural Solutions in future agendas.